Wednesday, February 02, 2005

if they offered an award for like the Most Unmotivated Person, i think i could probably win it....if i felt like it.

i can just see the interview--

interviewer: so, tell us why you would like to be named the MUP

me: mmm, i dunno. it'd be alrite i guess.

interviewer: can you describe your class participation last semester?

me: minimal, at best. if it was raining, i def wasnt there. if it was on tues or thurs, i probably wasnt there because i just had one class, and i mean, thats a lot of work for just one class. if it was friday, i for sure wasnt there, because, seriously, it was friday. if it was a mon or wed, give me a 50% chance, unless it was my 8am, and then i dunno, i'd say i'll see ya there if i see ya there. i did generally go if there was like a test or something though.

interviewer: well, can you tell us how you applied yourself over the christmas break?

me: well, mostly i'd get up around 11:30, because i liked to be up when my dad came home for lunch. after lunch i might take a shower, or a nap, depending on which was more pressing. i read lots of books, took lots of walks, and made a slideshow.

interviewer: i see. and how quickly did you unpack upon your return to your apartment after this month long sabbatical?

me: um, well, i'm still working on that. but yesterday i DID finally put my suitcase away in the closet.

interviewer: yes, and could you explain how you keep yourself organized?

me: well i really like to-do lists. i try to make them for every month on outlook and every day on my dayplanner. and on random little pieces of paper and in my notebook where i keep my class notes. if i dont do something, i just keep transferring it to the next day's to do list until finally i eventually do it. typically i will write something down about 10 times, then do it. then i gleefully cross it off on all 10 to do lists. its rewarding, really.

interviewer: have you worked a lot in the past?

me: no, i wouldnt really say so. once i was an intramural official, but i got tired of having to go to the rec at nites and get yelled at, so i started giving my shifts to people that like really wanted lots of hours for some reason. i'm on the substitute teaching list, but i rarely go because its so much, you know, work. but i do babysit on fridays. my client and i agree on whats most important: sleeping. and its only once a week. and he's cute. and there's free food. and they have alias on dvd. what could be better?

interviewer: do you attend a lot of meetings?

me: well, if i feel like getting out and going. which i usually dont, particularly if its rainy or cold. but sometimes if they're having a free dinner, thats a pull for me. sometimes i go, eat the dinner, and leave before the actual meeting, to prevent boredom, of course.

interviewer: could you describe how you tend to spend your free time?

me: well, often i have some down time in the afternoons. i really enjoy a good nap, checking away messages occasionally even though i could not care less what they actually say, or compulsively checking my email over and over and then wondering if its broken if i dont get any, or just sitting at my computer listening to music. lots of music. oh, and sometimes i play my guitar or go through old Bible study notes or sit around and type up dumb blog postings.

interviewer: could you explain how you go about completing a task?

me: ok hmmm. lets take something i'm working on right now, like cleaning up my room for example. thats what i'm doing right now.

interviewer: it is?

me: well, yeah, kinda. so about 2 weeks ago i put as a task on my outlook : unpack/clean room. then i realized (from my project mgmt knowledge) that this was too broad and needed to be normalized (haha bad attempt at database humor. gosh, that was a horrid class. but i digress). anyway, so i put unpack as a task. and clean room as a task. then i've been writing it on my to-do lists faithfully every day. yesterday it said "clean up the stinkin place". (it doesnt really stink, i just like that adjective). anyway, so then i, you know, pick up a few things. then i get kind of tired so i sit down in my office chair and kinda look at all what needs to be put away. then i might turn on some music, to kinda motivate me, but then i just sit here for like two hours, listening to music and compulsively checking my email. so thats how it usually goes down, and my gantt chart shows that this should finish in a few more weeks. but we'll see. you know how projects go.

interviewer: why do you think you're so unmotivated?

me: yeah, i'm not sure. maybe its because my classes bore me. or because i already have a job and dont have to renew scholarships so my previous drive for academic excellence has less pull, or maybe its because i'm a senior and you know how seniors are, or maybe its because i'm a rebel and i dont like doing what people want/expect me to do, or maybe its because i just do what i feel like doin...which typically isnt that much.

interviewer: uhh yeah. so, is there anything else you want us to consider?

me: nah, i should probably get back to my cleaning.

interviewer: seriously?

me: no, not really. i have to go take a nap now...

1 comment:

bekah kay said...

haha...you are funny!! :P