Sunday, October 21, 2007

Challenge: Simplicity and Depth (Corrected)

Note: The corrected text is listed below in bold in the crane wife story.

As an avid chessplayer, I have to admit that sometimes the most beautiful creations in chess come from the most unexpected, quietest and simplest moves. That's their charm - impressive depth and power with little raw material. Recognizing them as such requires a skill all it's own.

Over the last month I have seen a small outpouring of people writing extremely short stories that still attempt to be a viable tale. The universe of possibilities that some of the stories open up with a handful of words distinctly reminds me of the subtle nature of "the quiet move" in chess.

Here are three examples I came across:
The first is an old Japanese tale called the crane wife. An old man once found a wounded crane on his doorstep. He took the crane in and nursed it back to health. Some time later the man met a woman and fell in love and married. They were poor so the woman offered to weave silk clothing to sell to make money, but he could never look in at her while she created the clothes. As time grew on, the womans health worsened but blinded by greed, the man demanded more clothing to be weaved. Wanting badly to know what she did to the silk to make these clothes so desirable, he looked in on her one day and was surprised to see a crane plucking feathers from her own body to weave into the loom. She flew away and never returned.

(If you like the story, listen to the Decemberists sing a folk rock version of this song called Crane Wife 3).

So six sentences and I count at least five morals to the story. That's amazing. The story is also closed and complete and emotionally provocative. In fact your gender will probably seriously color how you feel about the story. Compassion, love, greed, selflessness, betrayal, tragedy, shame, sorrow maybe? - WOW! Talk about dynamite in small packages...

Contrast that with this story supposedly written by Hemingway (who according the story also said it was his best work). "For Sale: Baby Shoes, Never Worn."

The difference here is how many stories he just wrote (in just 6 words!). Every time you try to figure out what happened, you get another story. Did the mother die? Of what did she die? Sickness, accident, homicide? Maybe a miscarriage or tragedy at birth? Maybe she just left or gave the child up for adoption? Maybe I just moved into a house and found some brand spanking new baby shoes. Heck, maybe I just got two for one at the local Walmart. The point is that it's an infinite number of stories out of an ever so tiny number of words.

Here's one more from the annals of the internet supposedly written in a college class in response to an assignment to write a short story involving religion, mystery and tradgedy.

"God, I'm pregnant. Who's the father?" So this one doesn't come close to either of the other two because it's both closed and narrowly focused. It's still part of the class of short stories written in 6 words or less.

So challenge time. What's your 6 word story? If you can't think of one, then whats your 6 sentence story? Here's my quick try at one. Missing my love, people surround me.

Ross Hytnen

10 comments:

thesharester said...

i'm rather disappointed no one has accepted this challenge :(

Anonymous said...

"cotton harvest begins today" Is 4 words simple enough? Also, it doesn't get any deeper than this. Where's Jared? I could use a good module operator. val

Martha said...

Hey - don't be disappointed...this is tough. I'm thinking, but I'm also thinking nothing will be good enough to satisfy me, so give me a minute!

For now, one word will have to do - "vjgheo"

CYNTHIA said...

"i'm rather disappointed no one has accepted this challenge :("

i count 9 words and a frownie face that probably should count for at least two more. c'mon sharester...where's YOUR try?

mine -
Six word count? Far too short.

Jennifer Josefy said...

College would be cooler without tests.

Evelyn said...

amen to Jennifer's statement above!

My six words?

"God, I'm pregnant, who's the father?"

just kidding!!! haha

After not too much though, I've come up with this:

"not at home but at peace"

Unknown said...

If I thought of one, I'm afraid it might get stolen and i wouldn't get any royalties.

Martha said...

Sleep is restorative, so I hear.

I think this fits the "could have so many stories" requirement...

Perhaps it is because of the sleep that I get that I can hear...keeping up good health habits and all.

Perhaps I've not been sleeping, so I only hear from other people that this is true.

If we go with the second one - why am I not getting enough sleep? And, is it affecting my hearing?

- this is my attempt at your assignment!

Oh - and Ross - In case I didn't seem grateful enough - DUDE YOU ROCK with what you did to our computer. THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH!

Unknown said...

Haha glad it's working a little better - it's just what I do.

And if you are worried about the copyright issues regarding your post, you can always use this freeware encryption software to keep prying eyes away!

http://www.schneier.com/blowfish.html

Anonymous said...

Life or death; view through windows.