Tuesday, June 14, 2005

the party van

perhaps you are aware that my transportation last summer while in portland was a bicycle 90% of the time. i even had one of those squeaky horns should any oblivious pedestrian choose to step out into my path. this summer i have upgraded from summer missionary to summer intern, if that is indeed an upgrade, and i have also upgraded from bicycle to mini-van, if that is indeed an upgrade. as many affectionately referred to my first car (the silver camry) as Murphy, we affectionately refer to this minivan as The Party Van. just because we can. of course everyone wants to ride with me. in The Party Van. who wouldn't? for one day i was chosen to drive a Cadillac, which i thought was to be my car for the summer. it was pretty tahiight. but then i was bumped back to The Party Van. and it appears i shall be driving The Party Van for the duration of the summer. i forget really what kind of van The Party Van is, i think its one of those plymouth ones, the old school squareish ones. is blue with brown wooden panelingish...ya with me? i confess i feel a little awkward while driving it around town, i'm not quite ready for the mini-van stage of life. perhaps adding to the awkwardness are the personalized license plates "Ceil", so as i'm sitting at red lights i cant help but miserably think that people are thinking, hmm, her name must be Ceil. when, in fact, that is not my name. or maybe they are thinking hmmm, i wish i could drive The Party Van.

perhaps also adding to my identity crisis would be this past friday night, my last night as a 20yr old so of course i was.......watching a Disney channel original movie with 2 kiddos. whats worse is the fact that they turned on the movie halfway through, so we watched that, then watched it again from the beginning, and continued watching it to the end again. as we were watching, i was perusing a book i'd picked up at the library earlier that day. meanwhile i was waiting for a phone call from a high-schooler to go pick her up from an activity at church, and drop one of her friends off as well. this was the hi-lite of my evening, picking up this young girl. on our way home, i was discussing with her my paranoia that this evening had indeed made me feel like a mom. and she said well at least you're not like a real mom to where you had to do like laundry and stuff. i would concede this point to her except for the fact that i had indeed just finished putting away the laundry i'd washed when she called for the ride.

3 comments:

Will said...

Does it get any better than the minivan? I remember for the first few month when I was an Upstream leader my partner had a similar minivan and we drove freshman around all over the place in it! I think we might have even called it a party van. Good times were had. I mean, how could you not have good times with a minivan?

Evelyn said...

Is there a picture of the party van available for viewing?

I am curious :)
Evelyn

Anonymous said...

aw man i'm laughing so hard that i'm crying! i rememeber that night! it was AWESOME. well, for me anyways. hahaha it was great about the laundry. that was most definitely my favorite part.