Friday, July 20, 2007

the republic of texas

ross drives to work on the capital of texas highway. which i find acceptable, especially because we live in austin. on my way to work i pass the republic of texas parkway. which i find less acceptable. i mean, seriously? i guess as a child i did not think it odd that we spent several entire years studying texas history. i think most texan children know texas history much better than national history, and lets not even think of international history. i remember one time in college literally arguing with a dead-serioius fellow aggie about whether texas or the u.s. would win if texas withdrew from the u.s. and waged war. again, seriously? i think my texan eyes were opened during my summers in the northwest. where were the oregon flags? why were the highway signs not in the shapes of little oregons? haha. texas is cool. case in point:

appropriately sized american flag on I35:


inappropriately sized texas flag 1/2 of a mile earlier on I35. where is the american flag? long live the republic ;)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

YEA I WAS THE FIRST ONE TO READ THE BLOG!!!!!!!!!!AND I READ IT SECONDS AFTER YOU WROTE IT!!!!

Unknown said...

My freshman roommate and I were disagreeing about something once.(my parents were living in arizona at the time) and she attributed my rationale to being from "up north." I said Tucson is probably at the same latitude as where we are right now. Where do you think arizona is? and she said I don't know but I know it's up north. that was when i realized that texas really is like a whole other country!!

CYNTHIA said...

B takes Texas History this year. I think I'll let this be his first lesson...

Jennifer Josefy said...

What are you trying to say? You don't think Texas could take the rest of the US??? psssshhh... you're just jealous because you were born in CA.

Martha said...

Look sharester - you don't stop to ponder the facts when talking about Texas - you just loudly proclaim that TEXAS ROCKS! and leave it at that. Seriously - TEXAS ROCKS!

And my "word" is icupez - which has the beginnings of a great 3rd grade joke.