Monday, June 04, 2007

back to work

most of you know that i have decided to switch careers from IT to teaching. the process has included a hiatus from working for the past few months (march-may) which has been at times enjoyable and at times frustrating. last week i started back to work by attending a seminar with other teachers from the school district that i will be working at in the fall. we were working on creating a standardized district curriculum and common assessments for the upcoming school year. it was a good way to get introduced to the state objectives for 6th grade. it was also a time to see that some teachers are embittered and resistant to change, while others are motivated and excited to embrace whatever catalyst is needed to propel students toward achievement. today i started my classroom seminars and in the morning i will face my first day of student teaching. i guess its kind of easy to get caught in a 'grass is greener on the other side' mentality when facing the challenges of beginning to teach and remembering the certain comforts that come from being a professional in the corporate world. some days i wonder why i would leave a profession that allows me to wear whatever i want, show up whenever i want, and show up and only need to focus on what i need to be doing and where i need to be. but i try to remind myself that in some ways these are selfish ambitions. and i want to do something that when i look back on my life i will have made a difference in someone else's life, not just been successful in my own. so in some ways i'm super nervous about becoming a teacher and sometimes a little sad to have left something that i had learned to enjoy. but mostly i'm super excited! i can't wait to share with you the things that happen this summer during my training, and this fall in my 6th grade math portable classroom!

"Let not the wise man boast of his wisdom or the strong man boast of his strength or the rich man boast of his riches, but let him who boasts boast about this: that he understands and knows me, that I am the Lord, who exercises kindness, justice and righteousness on earth, for in these I delight," declares the Lord.
--Jeremiah 9:23-24

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was very well written. I did notice some capitalization errors... good thing you're a math teacher!

Anonymous said...

Since I'm going to be in the 6th grade feel free to ask me about pointers! rkj

thesharester said...

i dont really consider it a capitalization error...more of a capitalization omission.

CYNTHIA said...

well if you're going to defend, i'll have to add comma omission, apostrophe omission, and run on sentence.

but i didn't notice all that til i read the comment page
:-)

Anonymous said...

Well then let's not get started on your blog Mrs. H.

CYNTHIA said...

exactly my point

thesharester said...

these are all things that add to my blog 'style'. i am consciously aware of them as i am writing and choose to implement them anyway. i try to portray some of my personality in my blog as i type. though my brain is acutely aware that my writing is not grammatically correct.

Anonymous said...

you are a pretty cool sister. :]

Martha said...

I hope you are liking your work...time will tell!