Wednesday, February 13, 2008

can you keep your child away from me please?

as often as possible, i select to do my shopping at target as opposed to wal-mart. call me a snob if you must, but we try not to support wal-mart in our family when we can avoid it. so tonite i went to do my last minute valentines shopping for my Valentine, and for my students...at target. super target. and i went to the huge valentines section...and it was empty. really? they run out of valentines candy? i mean there was some stuff, but for the most part it was bare shelves and annoyed people on cell phones jostling for position to get whatever was left.

really i guess i haven't bought valentines candy the night before valentines before. the only time i have bought valentines candy was when it was actually my parents buying it and my mom would take me and matt and we'd each pick out one box of valentines and then painstakingly take the class list and write one for each of our classmates, least favorite ones first, up to my very best friends last, making sure to give them the best valentine and maybe even an extra piece of candy (at least thats how i did it). also if we had leftover, matt and i might write one for each other, and certainly for ourselves. but i digress. back to 2008.

anyway, i got what i needed: some kisses for my class and some chocolate for my man. and some other stuff on my list. and i went to check out, and of course the lines were long. AND THEN. a large family came up and got in line behind me. they were talking so loudly (and in a different language), and one of the kids was screaming and crying. and they kept encroaching upon my space. i ignored them at first, then when their daughter kept running into me, trying to push me out of the way, i gave them a raised eyebrow glare but no one noticed. they just kept pushing towards the cash register, even though my items had not even been checked out yet. 10min later, i thought my head was going to explode and i was sure my ears were damaged by the one that was screaming.

i think ross and i shall not be having children. at any rate we shall never take them shopping at super target. you can all post your thank yous.

4 comments:

CYNTHIA said...

don't imagine the hytnen children would ever be talking loudly in the checkout line or encroaching upon another's personal space...at least not for very long!

Evelyn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Evelyn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Evelyn said...

Sharon, I think if we were to do an intensive search of this blog, we would find a very similar entry several years back... maybe next time you should just say something! I think foreigners do not understand the meaning of personal space or speaking in normal-volume voices. They wont know they're upsetting you unless you say something.

I actually have recently discovered that the British think the Americans are loud. Apparently, because we talk on buses... that makes us loud. They don't talk on buses, it's dead quiet really. But how was I supposed to know I was bothering them? Although to be quite frank, I didn't care I was bothering them because it's quite ridiculous I am not allowed to speak to my friend in public transportation simply because no one else is speaking.

hahaha oh never mind, next time, don't say anything - they will just think you're rude... better for you to think their rude then them to think you're rude. haha

ps - sorry deleted two above.. too many spelling errors detracting meaning from my message.